Paul Strelzin threw this question at me and all I could say was, “That is a really good question.” It got me thinking and now I want to know what you would do as Mayor of El Paso (or any city for that matter) if you had not unlimited funds, but say a $100 million surplus. I will add what I will do later today. Be mindful of the citizens, infrastructure, marketing, city employees etc…
I am really looking forward to seeing what some of you say. If anything, just write a quick sentence like, “I would put in a super nice hot dog stand worth 100 million dollars.”
Here is my plan…well part of it anyway.
- Beautify the San Francisco district downtown
- Establish more trees/flower (desert friendly of course) downtown
- Put in traffic lights myself (instead of waiting on txdot) @ zaragoza and edgemere
- Create a viral marketing campaign that was based on word of mouth techniques
- Repave parts of Dyer street
- Tear down the chain link fence that surrounds the city hall parking lot
- Create a new vistitors center that is more visible than current one
- Conduct study on viability of locating an arena downtown
- Bring back street cars downtown
- Use incentives to lure alternative energy/tech firms to EP
- Use the rest, if there is any, to pay off debt
My name is David and I am living El Paso.